The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in its Judgment titled as Bajaj Alliance General Insurance Company Ltd. v/s Union of India & Ors Writ Petition No.534/2020 dated 16.3.2021 passed a number of directions regarding disbursement of compensation as well as speedy disposal of cases pending before the various MACTs. These directions are reproduced below:
- The Police Station in which the accident took place has to submit an Accidental police report about the accident to the Tribunal and the insurer within first 48 hours either by email or a dedicated website. The concerned police station shall also submit a detailed accident report to insurer and Tribunal within 3 months.
- The MACT Tribunal shall issue summons along with the report to the insurer by e-mail.
- The Tribunal shall email their offer for settlement/response to the Tribunal along with proof of service on the claimants.
- After passing the award, the Tribunal shall email an authenticated copy of the award to the insurer.
- The insurer shall satisfy the award by depositing the awarded amount into bank account maintained by the Tribunal by RTGS or NEFT.
- Insurers shall appoint nodal officers for each Tribunal and provide their contact details, phone numbers and email address to Director Generals of State Police and the Tribunals.